BANGKOK, THAILAND, 14 November 2023: Fulfilling the promise of creating a special-focus edition for one of the most anticipated Congresses of the year, Curtin University Malaysia publishes Volume 2 Issue 1 of the International Journal of Business Events and Legacies (IJBEL) at the 62nd ICCA Congress.
The IJBEL special edition was launched by the Strategic Advisory Tripartite consisting of the Ministry of Tourism, Creative Industry and Performing Arts Sarawak (MTCP), Business Events Sarawak (BESarawak), and the International Congress & Convention Association (ICCA) on the third day of the ICCA congress.
In line with the Congress’ theme on legacy and sustainability, the latest release takes a deep dive into how global industry players, from meeting planners to topic experts, strategise business events to positively shape today’s business events environment. Furthermore, it also takes a look at both academic and non-academic perspectives on today’s legacy and sustainability issues.
“Governments are realising that meeting for change is the key to transformation, hence we are advocating legacy impact for the government sector. Sustaining the industry requires government commitment and Sarawak is a role model for such leadership. We are very open to collaborating with destinations, associations and industries around the world to facilitate change together”, expressed The Honourable Dato Sri Abdul Karim Rahman Hamzah, Sarawak’s Minister of Tourism, Creative Industry and Performing Arts and the Patron of IJBEL.
IJBEL Volume 2 Issue 1 features eight papers:
- The Business of Events: Global Destination Report 2022 (Martin Fullard)
- How to Define (Your) Legacy (Bas Schot, Adam Bags, Rosa Sipkema)
- Convention Bureau and Their Influence on Sustainability: Shaping a Responsible Event Industry (Andreas H. Zins)
- Net Zero Nonsense? A Greenwashing Guide for Association Events (Shawna McKinley)
- The Outcomes of UFI Global Exhibition Barometer: Comparing Between 28th and 30th Edition (Kai Hattendorf, Christian Druart)
- The Association of Engagement Index – The 3Cs of Engagement (Nikki Walker)
- Business Event Legacies – Website Analysis and a Process Approach (Dr Aaron Tham)
- Book Review: The Routledge Handbook of Business Events (Charles Arcodia, ed.) (Dušan Borovčanin)
“If destinations are serious about change, now is the time to reevaluate how to leverage legacy impact as a disruptor for future meetings,” stated Senthil Gopinath, CEO of ICCA and Chairman of the IJBEL Advisory Board. “Driving a dramatic positive change in society requires a collective approach and this edition of the journal speaks very much on how the global industry is applying legacy impact in the real world to connect their events to the communities they care about. I urge researchers and practitioners to submit a paper for the next issue, and organisations to collaborate as strategic partners.”
IJBEL has 48 collaborators ranging from editors and advisors to association and academia partners from Asia, Australia, Africa, North America, Europe, and the Middle East. Meanwhile, IJBEL has 6 strategic partners from academia, associations to CVB — Universiti Teknologi MARA (UiTM), Professional Convention Management Association (PCMA), Sarawak Research Society, Goyang Convention Bureau and The Iceberg by Joint Meetings Industry Council.
Read the latest publication online or download a copy at https://ijbelegacy.com/publication/volume-2-issue-1/.