Sarawak Convention Bureau (SCB) is once again announcing its search for five (5) deserving Sarawakians who are keen to represent Sarawak at international conventions of their choice.
Now entering its third year, the International Association Convention Scholarship applications are open to all Sarawakians and residents of Sarawak over 18 years of age from the educational institutions, private companies or Government Departments, students of tertiary institutions with support from their University or College. They must either be existing members of non-profit or Government associations or eligible to join. The selected convention must rotate among different destinations and have the possibility of being hosted in Malaysia.
Successful applicants will receive a grant of up to RM10,000.00 to be used to fund their travel, accommodation, association membership and convention registration fees to attend the approved international convention of their choice. Applications will close on 31 July 2011 for conventions being held between September 2011 and December 2012.
From the first Convention Travel Scholarship selection in 2009, three (3) winners were selected one each from the Northern, Central and Southern Regions of Sarawak. The winners were Mr. Lawrence Tseu Sed Kong, a Senior Town and Country Planning Officer with the Land & Survey Department, Mr. Joe Peter Tukau, a graduate of the University of Malaya, Kuala Lumpur and Ms. Nurul Jameela Nor Mazlan from the Curtin University of Technology, Miri.
From the second Convention Travel Scholarship selection in 2010, seven (7) winners were selected although only five were initially planned. The winners were:
- Dr. William Rovina Nating, Director of Agriculture, Department of Agriculture (Limbang) – Global Conference of Rabies Control in Seoul, South Korea
- Mr. Ho Chiung Ching, Undergraduate student, University Putra Malaysia – 2011 International Conference on Computational Science and Applications in Santander, Spain
- Mr. Johan @ Achu Anak Jupan, Senior Treasury Accountant, Accountant General Sarawak – World Congress of Accountant 2010 in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
- Ms. Dayang Hassanah Binti Abang Haji Abu Bakar, Administrative Office, Chief Ministers Department- Toastmasters International District 72, Taranaki Convention in New Plymouth, New Zealand
- Ms. Siti Rafizah Binti Mohamad Kasiran, Civil Engineer, Public Works Department Head Quarters – International Construction Law Conference 2010 in Hong Kong
- Ms. Rosalind Sia Juo Ling, Town Planning Officer, Department of Land and Survey – 11th International Joint World Cultural Tourism Conference in Hangzhou, China
- Ms. Constance Chin, Lecturer, MARA University of Technology – Aix-en-Provence Annual Conference, France
In sponsoring these winners, the Sarawak Convention Bureau hopes that more Sarawakians will be actively attending overseas conventions either as delegates, speakers or board members to attract more association conventions. The aim of the scholarship is to showcase the benefits and opportunities of attending conventions and nurture future convention hosts willing to bid to bring meetings here.
Application forms are now available from the Sarawak Convention Bureau or can be downloaded from here.
Enquiries and applications should be directed to:
Director of Research
Sarawak Convention Bureau
Lot 31 Jalan Masjid
E-mail: [email protected]